Lost/Stolen Card

Follow these simple steps to replace your lost/stolen card.

1. Call customer support (1.877.380.0980) to report your card lost or stolen.

2. Pick up a replacement card from FSSC, Student Employment or Payroll Services. Call the Rapid PayCard customer service. When you get through to the automated phone system, ignore all the prompts and you will eventually be connected to speak to a LIVE customer service representative (This will take about 45 seconds).

3. You must tell the live representative you are calling in to activate A REPLACEMENT CARD and the customer representative will then link the new card to the original account number.

Follow these steps and there is no need for you to change the direct deposit account number with payroll.