State Withholding

In addition to Form W-4, all employees are required to complete the appropriate state tax withholding form at the time of hire. If a state withholding form isn’t submitted the university will withhold DC taxes at the maximum allowable rate. A new withholding form must also be completed when an employee’s state of residency changes or there is a change in the number of personal allowances claimed.

Employees who reside in DC, Maryland or Virginia may update their state forms electronically through GWeb. Those who do not reside in DC, Maryland or Virginia will need to download and complete a paper form. Instructions on how to electronically update tax forms as well as a list of the states for which the university withholds tax can be found under Payroll Forms. Please remember, if you terminate one state tax withholding you must activate another state.