Employees who are not U.S. residents for tax purposes should contact the university’s tax department prior to completing tax withholding forms. The Tax Department phone number is 571-553-8313.

The university is responsible for withholding federal and state taxes from all employees’ wages and reporting all taxable wages and taxes withheld to the Internal Revenue Service (Social Security Administration) and to the appropriate state. The university and each employee have responsibilities in this process.

University’s Responsibilities

  • Withholding federal, FICA, and state taxes from employee’s wages.
  • Remitting taxes withheld in a timely manner in accordance with published federal and state guidelines
  • Providing taxable wages and taxes withheld information on each employee to federal and state jurisdictions.
  • Providing each employee an annual Wage and Tax Statement (Form W-2) no later than January 31.

Employee’s Responsibilities

  • Completing an Employee Withholding Certificate (Form W-4) (PDF) for federal tax withholding as well as the appropriate state withholding certificate (PDF)
  • Notifying Payroll Services by completing new tax withholding forms when there are changes in their tax status (i.e. address changes, changes in the number of exemptions).
  • Employees who change their state of residence must complete a new state withholding certificate (PDF)
  • Employees who qualify to claim exempt from federal withholding must renew their exemption status each year by completing and sending to Payroll Services a new Form W-4 (PDF), no later than February 15. Failure to do so will result in taxes being withheld at the single and (0) exemptions rate.

Payroll Services, Tax Department, and Student Employment are not able to provide tax advice and are limited in the amount of help staff can give in filling out forms. Please consult your tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (telephone: 800-829-1040) for assistance.